MSCA IF Fellow
Dr. Leonardo Micheli is a MSCA IF Fellow at the University of Jaen, in Spain. He is currently working on developing a smart algorithm for the prediction of future soiling losses based on current and historical meteorological data. If successful, this method will allow to optimize the cleaning schedule of PV systems, limiting the O&M costs and increasing the energy yield of the system. During the previous three years, Leonardo has been working within the PV Performance and Reliability Group at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) on the U.S. Department of Energy-funded “Addressing Soiling: From Interface Chemistry to Practicality” project. At NREL, he investigated different methods to predict soiling losses using PV performance data or environmental parameters, presenting also a work on the seasonality of soiling. He was involved in the effort to develop a standard on the abrasion due to soiling and cleaning. Leonardo received a PhD in Renewable Energy from the University of Exeter (UK) in 2015, with a thesis on the concentrator photovoltaics
MSCA IF RESEARCH FELLOW
December 2018 to Present
University of Jaen, Spain
November 2017 to November 2018
December 2015 to November 2017
ASSOCIATE RESEARCH FELLOW
June 2015 to November 2015
University of Exeter, UK
November 2013 to June 2015
University of Exeter, UK
December 2013 to April 2014: visiting PhD student at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (India).
November 2011 to Februray 2013: PhD student at Heriot-Watt University, UK.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
Journal Papers (*corresponding author)
1. L Micheli* and M Muller, “An Investigation of the Key Parameters for Predicting PV Soiling Losses”, Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 25 (2017).
2. L Micheli*, EF Fernández, F Almonacid, TK Mallick, GP Smestad, "Performance, limits and economic perspectives for passive cooling of High Concentrator Photovoltaics", Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 153 (2016).
3. L Micheli*, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, "Experimental comparison of micro-scaled plate-fins and pin-fins under natural convection", Int. Comm. in Heat and Mass Transfer 75 (2016).
4. L Micheli*, EF Fernández, N Sarmah, S Senthilarasu, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, "Small-Volume Fabrication of a 144-Cell Assembly for High-Concentrating Photovoltaic Receivers", Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 138 (2016).
5. L Micheli*, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, "Plate Micro-Fins in Natural Convection: Experimental Study on Thermal Effectiveness and Mass Usage", Applied Thermal Engineering, 97 (2016).
6. L Micheli*, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, "General correlations among geometry, orientation and thermal performance of natural convective micro-finned heat sinks", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 91 (2015).
7. L Micheli*, S. Senthilarasu, KS Reddy, T K Mallick, "Applicability of silicon micro-finned heat sinks for 500x Concentrating Photovoltaics Systems", J. of Materials Science, 50 (2015).
8. L Micheli, N Sarmah, KS Reddy, X Luo, TK Mallick*, "Design, Development, and Analysis of a Densely Packed 500x Concentrating Photovoltaic Cell Assembly on Insulated Metal Substrate", Int. Journal of Photoenergy (2015).
9. L Micheli, N Sarmah, X Luo, KS Reddy, TK Mallick*, "Opportunities and challenges in micro- and nano- technologies for concentrating photovoltaic cooling: A review", Renew. & Sust. Energy Rev. 20 (2013).
10. P Rodrigo, L Micheli, F Almonacid, “The High Concentrator Photovoltaic Module”, In: High Concentrator Photovoltaics: Fundamentals, Engineering and Power Plants, Springer, 2015.
11. L Micheli, M Muller, “Seasonal trends of soiling on PV systems”, 2017 IEEE 44th Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2017).
12. L Micheli, EF Fernández, GP Smestad, H Alrashidi, N Sarmah, N Sellami, IAI Hassan, A Kasry, G Nofuentes, N Sood, B Pesala, S Senthilarasu, F Almonacid, KS Reddy, M Muller, TK Mallick, “A unified global investigation on the spectral effects of soiling losses of PV glass substrates: preliminary results”, 2017 IEEE 44th Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2017).
13. M Muller, L Micheli, AA Martinez-Morales, “A Method to Extract Soiling Loss Data From Soiling Stations with Imperfect Cleaning Schedules”, 2017 IEEE 44th Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2017).
14. M Deceglie, L Micheli, M Muller “Quantifying Year-to-Year Variations in Solar Panel Soiling from PV Energy-Production Data”, 2017 IEEE 44th Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2017).
15. L Simpson, M Muller, M Deceglie, H Moutinho, C Jensen, CS Jiang, D Miller, L Micheli, M Al-Jassim, “NREL Efforts to Address Soiling on PV Modules”, 2017 IEEE 44th Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2017).
16. L Micheli, G Femia, M Liani, R Poli, Y Banin, G Lanzara, S Kurtz, “Thermal Performance of Solergy’s Cogen CPV System as Part of Smart Grid Application at Rome-Fiumicino International Airport”, CPV13 (2017).
17. L Micheli, M Muller, S Kurtz, “Determining the effects of environment and atmospheric parameters on PV field performance”, 2016 IEEE 43rd Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2016).
18. L Micheli*, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, "Plate Micro-fins in Natural Convection: An Opportunity for Passive Concentrating Photovoltaic Cooling", Energy Procedia, 82 (2015).
19. L Micheli, EF Fernández, F Almonacid, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, “Optimization of the least-material approach for passive Ultra-High CPV cooling”, 2015 IEEE 42nd Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2015).
20. L Micheli, EF Fernández, F Almonacid, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, “Enhancing ultra-high CPV passive cooling using least-material finned heat sinks”, AIP Conference Proceedings 1679, 130003 (2015).
21. L Micheli*, S Senthilarasu, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, “500× CPV receiver with integrated micro-finned heat sink”, 11th Photovoltaic Science, Applications & Technology Conference, PVSAT-11 (2015).
22. L Micheli, N Sarmah, EF Fernández, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, “Technical issues and challenges in the fabrication of a 144-Cell 500× Concentrating Photovoltaic receiver”, 2014 IEEE 40th Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, PVSC (2014).
23. EF Fernandez, F Almonacid, L Micheli, TK Mallick, “Comparison of methods for estimating the solar cell temperature and their influence in the calculation of the electrical parameters in a HCPV module”, AIP Conference Proceedings 1616, 183 (2014).
24. L Micheli, N Sarmah, X Luo, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, “Design and production of a 2.5 kWe insulated metal substrate-based densely packed CPV assembly”, AIP Conference Proceedings 1616, 183 (2014).
25. L Micheli, N Sarmah, X Luo, KS Reddy, TK Mallick*, “Design Of A 16-Cell Densely-Packed Receiver for High Concentrating Photovoltaic Applications”, Energy Procedia, 54 (2014).
26. L Micheli, N Sarmah, X Luo, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, “Thermal effects of micro-fin geometry on a silicon receiver for CPV cooling purposes”, 28th EU PVSEC 2013 (2013).
27. L Micheli, N Sarmah, X Luo, KS Reddy, TK Mallick, “Infrared reflecting coverglass for multijunction cells in a terrestrial high-concentrating photovoltaic system”, 27th EU PVSEC 2012 (2012).